Wednesday, March 08, 2006

New meanings in Africa!

In college I had to memorize a set of verses for one of my Christian Studies classes. It was part of a long list I memorized over those four years and I tucked it away in my mind. This week I read through Romans 15 and what popped out at me…those verses: Romans 15:5-7

Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.

It is amazing how verses seem to take on new meaning in a new environment. I remember reciting those verses and thinking nothing of them. I thought I accepted everyone around me pretty well.

Now, everyday…I see someone different than I am. Someone, who has a different idea of what is accepted and what happiness is in life. I see women carrying heavy burdens on their heads, men selling anything from tissues to tourist souvenirs on the street. Little kids run up and down the streets begging for the mosque or their family. Yet these same people smile and laugh.

In church I am surrounded by people who live in poverty, yet they raise their voices loudly to sing praises to God. Just like me and it is beautiful.

Did I ever think worship was beautiful? Did I see women shout praises to God for moving in her church?

God wants all to worship…and all of us to worship in one voice. God has promised us we will one day worship Him in Heaven…every tribe, tongue and nation, in one voice.

-I am suffering from a round of sinus problems. Pray they will not get in the way of my studies.

-Driving is a very dangerous thing to do in Ouaga...pray I am always mindful of those around me.

-It is getting very hot here and it is starting to affect what we do and when we do it. Pray we stay healthy and remember to drink WATER!

Thanks for all your prayers.

No comments: