Thursday, July 12, 2007

Market visits

About a month ago I started visiting a local market once a week. The reason: to meet African women to tell them about Jesus.

It is very difficult to meet African women in my neighborhood, Marcery. I was invited to go with another missionary woman, Stephanie after her original partner, Bobbie, had to return to the states.



At first I dreaded it. But, I knew I had to do it. Stephanie wanted someone to go with her. (Two people who can barely speak and understand French is better than one.) So, I spend most Mondays talking myself into going on Tuesday morning!

We meet with several women, who know who Jesus is. Most of them attend a local church –Catholic, Evangelic, Lutheran, and Assembly of God. Our idea is to get them to be the missionaries of the market. Inspire them to reach out to the women in the stalls next to them.

Because I am new to the visits, I am still getting to know the women, most who are 20+ years older than I am. We talk mostly about their families and work. Their work ranges from selling baby products, a tailor, owner of a nail solon, to selling hair products.

Some want us to pray for them. And we do.

We slowly plod on hoping for a chance to introduce a story, “Creation to Christ,” which tells the main stories of the Old Testament leading up to Jesus’ resurrection. I know it somewhat in English. We are trying to learn it in French.

I know I can never accomplish this on my own. I know it is only by the will, grace and help of God that I will be able to learn this story.

No comments: