Monday, June 04, 2007

My fight

Do you remember a time where you were intent on studying a subject of God's word? Has the Devil ever tempted you in that area?

Well, for the last week or so, I've worked on a lesson about spiritual warfare. Boy, it's been enlightening.

In it I wrote that, “Satan uses things in our everyday life to gain the upper hand to move us into personal conflict with what God wants for our lives.
Satan uses our personal lives, families and friends, to make us discouraged and to feel defeated.”

Yeah, Satan is a crafty little sucker.

I’ve been discouraged about my lack of French speaking ability for a while now. But, yesterday in our English Bible study they told me my English was bad! I just can’t win!

My friends are moving on in life. They are getting married and starting families. I’m not. I haven’t attended a single one of their weddings. They are starting awesome new jobs and moving to places unknown.

You get the idea. Here I was think I’m doing this great thing, trying to help American churches prepare for the ever present spiritual warfare in West Africa and I couldn’t see Satan was using it on me.

So, today, I am rejoicing!

That my French is SLOWLY improving. I have no problem following a conversation and I’ve become bolder in entering a conversation.

Rejoicing in my friends happy lives. I am so proud of so many of you.

I wish I could have been there…

To see you walk down the isle in your beautiful flowing dress.

Watching you eagerly await the entrance of the most beautiful woman you know.

As a new little one enters your life.

Celebrating your new job.

Packing boxes.

But, since I’m not and haven’t been, know I pray for you daily. I get excited for you and brag about you to my African friends.

I also want to thank my parents. They have made life in Africa so much more enjoyable with e-mails, chats, little packages of American goodies and movies.

Today, you are a witness to the defeat of Satan’s spiritual warfare in my life.

“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”—James 4:7



This is just a random picture that I like...



It’s a young Wala boy and his brother parading the best donkey in the village in front of the visitors. (Burkina Faso)

The following is a story I wrote for The Baptist Digest. The Baptist newspaper for Kansas-Nebraska.

Village hut becomes evangelism tool

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesse-

Know that we too are praying for you! We miss you, and I don't know about the others, but I most definitely brag way too much about you to my American friends...

You are doing things I wish I could be doing with you, seeing things I want to see...I wish I was with you, but I know the Lord has us in certain spots for His reasons...which are always much better than our own reasons!

I love you and am so very proud of what you're doing...

And remember, God says, "Jesse, go to Mizzou..." ;)

Anonymous said...

Jesse,
This is Teresa. We met in Nigeria in January. I wanted to thank you for your blog entry. As I am preparing to leave to come to Africa, I can already see and feel the warfare. Your entry was so encouraging and exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for sharing!

Teresa