Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Baby Naming Ceremony
I am holding the smallest baby I have ever held in my life! I am all dressed up attending a baby naming ceremony. These celebrations happen about eight days after the baby is born and everyone from the village comes offering gifts and to eat food prepared by the family. It is a great time to visit and have weird conversations about food and village happenings.

Signs of malaria
The first wave of malaria hit me on my second day in the far desert of Niger. In the morning I felt well enough to walk the town and visit nationals. As guests it is good to visit friends and make a good impression for future work. The rest of the day I took it easy in the shade!

In Niger the women wear a head covering everywhere they go. So from the time I got up till I went to sleep I had something on my head...A totally new experience for me. (Yes, something on your head all the time is very HOT.)

SECOND WAVE OF MALARIA--IN THE HOSPITAL
So, I am drugged. This is me in the hospital bed with an IV in my left hand. (which would later swell up because the medicine started leaking into my arm...Gross.

If you get malaria and don't take it easy and have food poisoning along with it, you might end up in the hospital!

This is were I spent three days and two nights. I got used to the IV and was able to sleep quite a lot. I also had wonderful visitors who took care of me and the people who stayed around the clock with me. I had wonderful care and when I was coherent was very impressed with the doctors.

My favorite was the night shift doctor, he gave me drugs to sleep!

I have learned if you get malaria-Africa is a good place to get treatment.

Hope you have enjoyed these pictures. I am headed to London this weekend to see my PARENTS! YEAH! Will post pictures of my trip.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun visiting your parents and seeing LONDON. I'm so jealous! I'm also glad you're feeling better and can be healthy when you see them!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better!
Love those pics of you.
Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess! It looks like you are doing well (bedsides the malaria)... Seeing all of your pictures makes me happy!!