Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Hausa

Sannu. Ina kwana? Hello. Is it a good morning?

Today, for the second time, I went to a little place I like to call Hausaland. The Hausa people come from Northern Nigeria and eastern Niger. But, there are over 100,000 of them living in Cote d’Ivoire.

A couple moved here in August and part of their job is to work with the Hausa people. Emily and I are honorary members of the Hausa team. I can barely say hello, Sannu.

Laura and I sat with the Hausa women in their dark bedroom (because the power was cut) and I’m sure they talked about life, kids, work…but, I don’t know because I don’t speak Hausa and they don’t speak English or French!

Later, we moved to a porch like area and watched the kids hit each other and roll around on the ground. Laura’s son, Noah, doesn’t know what to do with all the hitting Hausa kids.

After we sit with them for sometime and maybe Laura gets a chance to tell a story from the Bible, we go to look for her husband Greg. Greg find’s some Hausa men to practice his Hausa and to try to tell Bible stories. Today, he told the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000.

When we find him, it’s time to go down the muddy, trashy road for lunch.

Rice and Peanut sauce, my favorite African food. Enjoy it with me.


On our way back to the car, we stopped at a little stand to buy soap and sugar (don’t mix them!) and the man told me the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000! They are hearing and remembering.


Try to tell a story from the Bible this week. It’s easier than you think…(You get to say it in English!)

Tomorrow it’s off to the market to visit are wonderful market ladies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell the lovely ladies Sannu for me! And watch out ... that rice and sauce is brutal! Miss you - Emily